Wednesday, October 14, 2009

James Jean Is a God






























Who doesn't love James Jean? I came across the above image from the forth coming Warren Ellis scripted Castlevania film. Jean is doing some of the concept art, and this pic is enough to make me want to go see the film, and that's saying something because to be quite honest I haven't played all that many video games in the last 20 years. I do have a Wii, but I don't think that counts. Anyway, I haven't blogged about my love for this man yet, and I've been blogging for a few months now, I can't believe it hasn't come up. His covers on Fables have been collected into a wonderful hardcover for $39.99. Get it. Right now, get in your car and drive over to your local A/F. Makes a great gift for yourself or a friend. It's great being able to see all of his covers without the logo and trade dress.


There have been two recent releases for Jame Jean fans over the last few months: Process Recess vol 3 that retails at $34.95. Every few years he releases one of these books, it's mainly a sketchbook with all kinds of doodles, sketches and paintings reprinted for all to see. Get this before it's gone, the first 2 volumes have been sold out for a while and go for BIG bucks, I'm talking hundreds of dollars a piece.


The other big release is just amazing, it's called Kindling and contains 12 removable prints. This collection is HUGE, it measures 12"x 16" and retails for $29.95. This is easily the art bargain of the season. Here is the write up from the back of the collection: "In the richly colored universe of James Jean's paintings, the worlds of animal, vegetable, mineral, and man merge in haunting dream scape fantasias. From his award-wining illustrations and paintings to his beloved work for fashion icon Prado, Jame Jean's art continues to defy expectation. The 12 high-quality pull-out prints in this portfolio showcase the invention and imaginative scope of one of the contemporary art's most important voices. Each double-sided print features sketches and preliminary art on its reverse side. If only I had more wall space, I would frame every single one of these pieces. I've included a small sample of the prints available in this collection, see above.

I believe Jean's days in comics are past at this point, he's moved on to bigger and better things, but we can still pledge our undying adoration to him. We will continue to carry his books whatever else we can get our hands on at the shop. If the above mentioned books are too high end for you we also carry his postcard book entitled Hugs and Kisses and it only costs $9.95.

If it wasn't for Fables I might have been a little late to the James Jean love-fest, but thankfully I've been there since the very beginning.





No comments:

Post a Comment