Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Comic Books and Bloomingdales


















The above link is about the much discussed Bloomingdale's line of DC t-shirts. These extra cool (read "sold in Bloomingdales") are going to retail for about $60 each. Be sure to check out the link, if only to see the rest of the hipster boy posing in DC-ware pics. Wow. After all my oohing and ahhing over the Tokidoki line of Marvel t-shirts and hoodies coming out, I'm really the last person who should be ragging about this topic. The only reason I bring it up is because it seems a little odd that comics are really EVERYWHERE, which is all well and good, but I don't see the circulations numbers going up exponentially across the board for comics. I would love to see this wider exposure for comic book properties make comics sell MORE, but that isn't really happening. Yes, graphic novel numbers have gone up over the years it's true because the book stores and libraries have really expanded their graphic novel sections, but I'm talking the monthly floppies, why can't those numbers go up? I know all the answers to this, believe me I do, but still, it does annoy me.


You know what I REALLY like about this whole Bloomingdale's DC t-shirt and merchandise hype? The super suave dude modeling the t-shirts, just look at him. He has to be the coolest guy on the planet to ever don a Batman shirt, I'm sure of it. I think it's great that Bloomingdales thinks the DC superheroes are trendy enough to put this much money behind the promotion. We here in the Chicago suburbs aren't going to see any of this action of course, not even the Bloomingdales in Chicago is going to have the hubbub that the New York store is going to have. New York, New York, New York, I'm sick to death of hearing about New York and all of their comic themed events going on what seems like daily if not several events a day. Is it because New York is home to both major comic book publishers, Marvel and DC, or is it because New York is the most populated city in the States, or is it a combination of the two? Heidi over at The Beat is posting New York after New York comic book themed event of some sort or other almost daily. Signings, conventions, discussions, awards, release parties, gallery shows, book fairs, fashion shows, and the list goes on and on. I'm not sure if I lived in New York if I would be attending every single one of these events because really how much can one do in a given weekend, but still, it's nuts. Go New York is really I can say isn't it? You know what would be really cool? If Bloomingdales offered these studs for sale at the shop. That would be awesome, walk into your local Bloomingdales and look at a row of hot guys in comic book themed shirts, pick one out, and take him home. Why not? Oh come on now, let me dream. I never thought I would see the day that Bloomingdales embraced its inner nerd, but here we are. Strange times.

1 comment:

  1. $60 for those T-shirts is a rip off.

    They're nice designs. I'd pay $30 for them.

    But $60 is just too much. And I'm not being frugal about this, either. Lori, you know what a spendthrift I can be so my viewpoint is most definitely NOT based on any miserly impulses.

    ReplyDelete