Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tamara Drewe, the movie!!!!!



Oh joy of joys! May the saints be praised! We can stop talking about the "dreaded" Disney/Marvel amalgam to celebrate a deal to film one of my favorite comic book properties! Tamara Drewe by my absolute favorite cartoonist on the planet: Posy Simmonds. For those of you that have wandered into the Frankfort Amazing Fantasy location and asked me "hey, what's good to read?" you've probably already heard about Posy Simmonds and her two WONDERFUL books: the aforementioned Tamara Drewe and an old favorite of mine, Gemma Bovary. My thanks to Rich Johnston over at Bleeding Cool for reporting on this. Yes, there was another big comic book movie announcement in the last few days (Lobo, directed by Guy Richie), but who the hell cares when we have TAMARA DREWE coming to a theatre near you! The creator, Posy Simmonds, a British cartoonist hasn't had as much exposure in the States as I would like, but maybe this movie will put firmly on the radar here, FINALLY. I can only hope. This movie will be made by Stephen Frears (The Queen), starring Gemma Arterton (Quantum of Solace), Dominic Cooper and Tamsin Grieg. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that the lead is going to be played by a gal named Gemma. It must be fate. Everything is connected, I'm convinced of this, well maybe I'm just reading into it needlessly, but it sounds very cool indeed. In Tamara Drew, Posy Simmonds uses Thomas Hardy's Far from the Maddening Crowd as inspiration. Her previous graphic novel, Gemma Bovary, is a tale inspired by Flaubert's Madam Bovary. The brilliant Tamara Drewe was originally serialized in the British Gurdian newspaper. What I truly love about Posy Simmonds is her use of subtle color, and her combination of text with traditional comic book panels. The combined effect is a wonder to behold. Posy has managed to do new and different things with a medium that at times seems tired and out of date. She is a master storyteller, not only are the stories themselves compelling, but her storytelling skills are leaps and bounds better than the average comic artist. She is a master of the form, much like the late Will Eisner. I am SO excited that this top-notch graphic novel is going to be made into a feature film! I wonder if it will be filmed with a limited or muted color palet, much like the book, I guess we will just have to wait until it hits the States to see what they've done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment