Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Must Read of the Week!

Sweet Tooth #1 from Vertigo hits this Wednesday at your LCS, be sure to pick one up! First of all it's ONLY $1.00, that's right ONE MEASLY dollar! And it's by Jeff Lemire, the indy darling that produced the massive Essex County Trilogy, now available in one affordable edition btw. Essex County blew me away with it's simplicity and poignancy. Now Sweet Tooth is poised to become the NEXT GREAT book. Loved it, can't say it enough. Amazing. Brilliant. I have hopes that Vertigo will take on more projects like this, the kind that don't fit the normal Vertigo mold. Now, don't misunderstand me, I adore the Vertigo mold, most of the time that is what has kept me excited about this medium, but it's nice to see them venture into all new territory. This is the first Jeff Lemire book to be in FULL COLOR, and it's wonderful to behold. And I think this is the first Vertigo book to be produced by a single writer/artist, this baby is all Jeff Lemire's, with the exception of the colors and letters of course.

This is how Jeff Lemire describes his new monthly series: " Sweet Tooth follows Gus, a little boy born with deer-like antlers left to survive in an American landscape decimated a decade earlier by a still mysterious pandemic. Even more remarkable is that Gus is part of a rare new breed of human/animal hybrid children who have emerged in its wake, all apparently immune to the infection." Yeah, definitely something new and different going on here and I couldn't be more excited.

I have no idea what to expect from the subsequent issues, but I will be counting the days for issue #2. Gus is so cute and so compelling as a character, that the reader has no choice but to cheer for him as he tries to make it in the new world he stumbles into. Gus, as a child has only had contact with one other person, his father, and his father leaves him, leaving him alone, scared, and hunted by bad folks that want to capture this hybrid child. I can only imagine we will meet other hybrid children as the series progresses.

I encourage you to join Gus on his quest to "The Preserve", a mythical sanctuary for hybrid children. I'm sure it will be one long, dark, twisted path, and I can't wait to join Jeff Lemire and Gus on this journey.

Thank you Vertigo and Karen Berger! Sweet Tooth #1, try it for a buck! Unlike anything else coming out on a monthly basis, I think you will be pleasantly surprised and intrigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment